A student who has an academic or non-academic concern or complaint needs to follow these steps to address and resolve the issue:
- The student shall first bring the issue informally to the attention of his/her program instructor within five school days after the concern was raised. Every effort must be made to resolve the concern at this level.
- If, after every effort has been made to resolve the concern with the instructor, the student is not satisfied, the student may present a written grievance to the Assistant Dean and Director of Student Services within 30 days after the incident/issue that raised concern. The Assistant Dean and Director of Student Services will investigate the matter and render his/her decision within ten school days after receiving the written grievance. A written notice of the decision will be mailed to the student.
- If the student wants to appeal the decision of the Assistant Dean and Director of Student Services, he/she must file a written appeal within five school days to the Dean of Washburn Tech. The Dean will render a decision on the grievance within five school days of the filing. A written notice of the decision will be mailed to the student.
- The decision of the Dean will be final.
- Note: Health Occupations students with issues or concerns not resolved at the classroom level, will take those issues/concerns to the Director of Practical Nursing and Health Occupations before coming to the Assistant Dean and Director of Student Services.
- Note: If the appeal is regarding dismissal from a program, the student may remain in class during the appeal process unless the student poses a risk to self or others.