Washburn Tech

Federal Financial Aid

There are several federal programs available to help students pay for educational expenses. All students interested in applying for federal financial aid must complete the free application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and meet with the Financial Aid Officer to determine eligibility.

A student is eligible to apply for assistance from the federal financial aid programs if he or she meets the following criteria:

  • Is a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen.
  • Has a high school diploma or its recognized equivalent.
  • Maintains satisfactory progress in his/her course of study.

Files a Statement of Educational Purpose, a Statement of Selective Service Registration Status and a Certification Statement on Refunds and Defaults with the school.

A student is not eligible for federal financial assistance if he or she:

  • Is enrolled as a secondary student;
  • Is in default on a student loan or owes a refund on a Pell Grant;
  • Has borrowed in excess of the annual or aggregate loan limits in the Federal Student Loan program.
  • Reaches the “lifetime Pell eligibility limit”

Courses not leading to a certificate or an Associate’s Degree at Washburn Tech are not eligible for federal financial aid.

Continuing Education courses are not eligible for any federal financial aid programs.

Federal PELL Grant

The Pell Grant program provides grants to help undergraduate students with financial need to meet the cost of their post-secondary education. A student is not eligible for a Pell Grant if he/she has received a bachelor’s degree. Unlike a loan, a grant typically does not need to be repaid. Eligibility is determined by using the following factors:

  • The Expected Family Contribution (EFC) provided by the U.S. Department of Education after submitting a FAFSA,
  • Enrollment status,
  • Cost of attendance.

Pell Grant funds are credited to a student’s account to pay for institutional charges at Washburn Tech. Any remaining proceeds are paid directly to the student to be used for other related educational expenses.

Federal Work Study (FWS)

Federal Work Study (FWS) is a need-based program that provides undergraduate students the opportunity to apply for jobs that allow them to earn money to pay educational expenses. To be considered for FWS funding, a student must submit a completed FWS application to the Financial Aid Office. Contact the Financial Aid Office to obtain job descriptions for all FWS positions and to determine eligibility.

Direct Loan Program (DL)

The three types of loans available under the DL program are Subsidized, Unsubsidized, and Parent loans for undergraduate students (PLUS).

The Subsidized and Unsubsidized loan programs are available to both dependent and independent students. Eligibility for the Subsidized Stafford loan is based on financial need while eligibility for the unsubsidized loan is not based on financial need. If a student’s financial need is not great enough, he/she may not be eligible for the entire amount of the Subsidized Stafford loan. In this situation the amount not received in the Subsidized Stafford loan may be received in the Unsubsidized Stafford loan program.

The maximum amount a dependent student can borrow per academic year (1 program) is $5,500, no more than $3,500 from the subsidized loan program. If a parent applies for a PLUS loan on behalf of their dependent student and is denied, the student may apply for an additional $4,000 from the unsubsidized program. The maximum amount an independent student can borrow per academic year (1 program) is $9,500, no more than $3,500 from the subsidized loan program. Under the Subsidized loan program, the government pays the interest due until the student enters repayment, six months after ceasing at least half- time enrollment. Under the Unsubsidized loan program, the student is responsible for interest that accrues from the date of the first disbursement.

Federal PLUS Loans are available to parents and/or step-parents, with a good credit history, to help pay for the education of a dependent undergraduate student who is enrolled at least half-time. Parents may borrow up to the total cost of attendance less any student aid received.

Loan funds are disbursed in two equal amounts. Funds are disbursed 30 days after the beginning of each semester for first-time borrowers and applied to charges on the student’s account. If a student is enrolled in only one semester per academic year, the second half of the loan disbursement is available after completing the first half of the semester.


Subsidized and Unsubsidized loan repayment begins six months after the student ceases to be enrolled at least half-time. PLUS loan repayment begins 60 days after the date of the second disbursement, or the parent may request delayed repayment.

Origination Fee

The federal government deducts loan fees from each of these loans.
Subsidized and Unsubsidized – 1.066%
PLUS – 4.276%

Credit Balances – refund checks

If a student receives more loan money than the balance on their account, a credit balance is created and a refund check is issued.  Refund checks are available in the Cashier’s Office at Washburn Tech.

Subsidized and Unsubsidized – the refund check is issued to the student
PLUS - the check is issued to the parent who applied for the loan unless otherwise indicated on the PLUS application or a signed authorization from the parent requests the balance to be issued to the student.


Washburn Tech distributes scholarship opportunities to students as they become available. Each scholarship has specific criteria of eligibility and specific deadlines for application. Most scholarships are available for application between January and May for the upcoming fall or spring semesters.

Scholarship opportunities can be found on the Washburn Tech webpage and in the Student Services Office at Washburn Tech. Status updates are also added to the Washburn Tech Facebook page as new opportunities become available.

Other Sources of Financial Assistance

Many organizations and agencies provide financial assistance to students. These include but are not limited to: Kansas Dept. for Children and Families, Heartland Works, Jones foundation, Vocational Rehabilitation, and the Veterans Administration. Veterans may wish to contact the Regional Office of the VA for assistance at 1-800-827-1000. Information on any of these agencies can be obtained from the Washburn Tech Financial Aid Office.

Satisfactory Academic  Progress (SAP)

Please see the section of this Academic Catalog titled "Satisfactory Academic Progress" for complete information on Washburn Tech's SAP policy