Biology Secondary Education, BEd
Pending Washburn University Board of Regents approval
The Bachelor of Education (BEd) in Biology Secondary Education is designed for those students seeking teaching certification in Biology.
Student Learning Outcomes
Biology Secondary Education Majors with a Bachelor of Education degree, upon completion of the program, will be able to:
- Understand and explain the similarities and differences between how a variety of organisms live and grow.
- Understand and explain how organisms interact with their environment.
- Understand and explain how genetic information is transmitted from one generation to the next and how genetic variation is lost or maintained.
- Understand and explain evolutionary principles and processes and how they provide evidence that shows the relatedness of different species.
- Incorporate core biological ideas, scientific and engineering practices, and crosscutting concepts into instruction.
- Demonstrate an ability to create and manage environments that support learning.
The Bachelor of Education (BEd) in Biology Secondary Education requires a minimum of 120 credit hours as outlined below.
|EN 101||First Year Writing||3|
|EN 300||Advanced College Writing||3|
|MA 116||College Algebra||3|
|WU 101||The Washburn Experience||3|
|General Education Requirements|
|Social Sciences, GESS||9|
|Humanities, GEHU 1||9|
|Natural Sciences, GENS (9) - Satisfied by Non-Biology required correlated natural science coursework||0|
|Biology Course Requirements|
|BI 102||General Cellular Biology||5|
|BI 103||General Organismal Biology||5|
|BI 255||Human Physiology||4|
|BI 275||Human Anatomy||4|
|BI 301||General Microbiology||4|
|BI 319||Biology for STEM Educators||3|
|BI 333||General Genetics||4|
|BI 340||Evolutionary Biology||3|
|Correlated Science Course Requirements 2|
|CH 121||General, Organic, and Biological Chemistry||5|
|PS 131||Biological Physics for the Health and Life Sciences||3|
|PS 132||Biological Physics for the Health and Life Sciences Laboratory||1|
|Required Behavior Course|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|Primate Social Behavior|
|Biology of Behavior|
|Education Course Requirements|
|ED 155||Teaching, Learning, Leadership||3|
|ED 165||Ed. 1, Examining Teaching as a Profession: Diversity 1, Literacy 1, Technology 1||3|
|ED 275||Ed. 2 Exploring Teaching as a Profession (Classroom Management 1, Diversity 2, Technology 2) Ed. 2||3|
|ED 285||Educational Psychology||3|
|ED 295||Ed. 3 Experiencing Teaching as a Profession (Classroom Management 2, Diversity 3, Literacy 2)||3|
|ED 302||Teaching Exceptional Learners||3|
|ED 345||Practicum Infants & Toddlers Education||3|
|ED 352||Methods of Teaching Science in Secondary School||3|
|ED 395||Ed. 4 Extending Teaching as a Profession (Classroom Management 3, Literacy 3, Technology 3)||3|
|ED 410||Secondary Student Teaching||12|
3 of which must be AR, MU, or TH
satisfies GENS requirements