Musical Theatre Concentration, BA
The Musical Theatre concentration prepares students for life as working artists in the theatre and further study in performance. Students develop skills in music, dance and acting. Practical training and creative experiences are coupled with an interdisciplinary liberal arts curriculum and a foundation in theatre history and theory. Students must audition for admittance to the concentration. The audition will evaluate music, dance and acting skills. Students are expected to participate in the Theatre Showcase each semester. Students are expected to audition and perform as cast. Students must pass a jury each year to remain in the concentration.
Student Learning Outcomes - Theatre, BA with a Musical Theatre Concentration
Students graduating with a B.A. in Theatre with a Musical Theatre Concentration will be able to:
- Demonstrate performances skills that include:
- Voice production and technique to create roles in full productions (speaking and singing)
- Vocal interpretation and role preparation skills that enable understanding and performance of roles from a wide variety of styles
- Musicianship, sight-singing competence and analytic skills
- Stage movement and dance skills in at least 3 styles of musical theatre dance genres
- Integration of voice, movement and acting skills
- Demonstrate proficiency in implementation of skills and knowledge of:
- Basic production elements such as costume, sets and props, lighting, makeup and sound.
- Script analysis, dramatic literature and history, and musical theatre repertory.
- Audition and business techniques for musical theatre performers.
The Bachelor of Arts Degree in Theatre with a Musical Theatre concentration consists of forty (40) credit hours in Theatre, nine (9) hours of correlate courses in English, and fourteen (14) correlate credits in Music, in addition to the general education requirements of the College of Arts and Sciences. Nineteen (19) hours in the major are taken at the upper division level.
|Required Theatre courses|
|One of the following:||3|
|Drama Classics on Video|
|Drama Classics on Video|
|Introduction to Theatre|
|TH 202||Acting I||3|
|TH 218||Acting & Directing Workshop I||3|
|TH 318||Acting & Directing Workshop II||3|
|Select two of the following tech production courses:||6|
or TH 311
|Set and Prop Construction|
|Lighting and Sound|
|TH 104||Theatre Movement Dance I||3|
|TH 204||Theatre Movement Dance II||3|
|TH 304||Theatre Movement Dance III||3|
|TH 209||Musical Theatre Performance I||3|
|TH 416||Special Theatre Projects||1-3|
|Correlate Music Courses|
|MU 215||Music Theory I||3|
|Private Voice Lessons - 4 semesters||4|
|Music Ensembles - 4 in consultation with director||4|
|MU 109||Piano for Beginners I||2|
|Correlate English Courses|
|EN 235||Survey of Drama I||3|
|EN 236||Survey of Drama II||3|
|EN 336||Contemporary Theatre||3|