Academic Fresh Start
Students who have performed poorly in their first year or two at any regionally accredited post-secondary institution and then withdraw or are dismissed frequently return to school later to resume their education. Unfortunately, their prior academic record often presents a major obstacle to their overall success. Students who want an opportunity for a fresh undergraduate start at Washburn University, without the handicap of their prior academic record, may apply for Academic Fresh Start within the first term of attendance subject to the following conditions:
- All previous academic work at any regionally accredited post-secondary institution will be disregarded with respect to Washburn University graduation requirements.
- The prior academic record remains a part of the student’s overall academic transcript but is not carried forward as part of the student’s program.
- The Washburn transcript will indicate Academic Fresh Start and the date granted.
- The student will then begin college study again under the current catalog with no credits attempted, no credits earned, and no grade points earned.
- A person may receive Academic Fresh Start only once.
The Academic Fresh Start policy applies only to your Washburn academic record. A student granted Academic Fresh Start is an entering first-year student and as such is eligible for consideration for all academic opportunities afforded by Washburn. A student transferring from Washburn University to another institution will have to follow the receiving institution’s policy.
To be eligible for consideration of Academic Fresh Start:
- At least three years must have elapsed between the end of the semester in which the applicant was last in attendance at any regionally accredited post-secondary institution and the beginning of the semester in which he/she intends to re-enroll. This three year waiting period may be waived if course work was completed prior to high school graduation.Student petitions for Academic Fresh Start within the first term of attendance.
- Student must apply for admission through the Office of Admissions.
- Student submits official transcripts from all regionally accredited post-secondary institutions attended.
- Application fee paid.
Granting of Academic Fresh Start does not mean the student is eligible for institutional scholarships or financial aid. Per federal regulations, the student’s full academic history must be reviewed for Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) guidelines. Washburn’s SAP policy can be found online at www.washburn.edu/financial-aid under Right to Know. An individual request for reinstatement of federal aid should be directed to the financial aid office in writing.
Petitions are available through Academic Advising in Mabee Library 201.