two students walking outside a building on campus

International Student Services


Washburn Website: International Student Services

Heidi Staerkel, Associate Director, International Programs
Michala Stokes, International Student Advisor
Andy Vogel, PhD, Coordinator, Recruitment and Retention

International Student Advisors

International student advisors are involved in the preliminary acceptance of international students, aid the students in preparation of their academic programs, counsel them regarding how to maintain their visa status, and maintain contact with them during their academic careers. Call 785-670-1051 or email for more information.


Undergraduate Admission

A complete application includes the following:

  1. A completed on-line Washburn University International Application form.
  2. $70 (USD) non-refundable application fee.
  3. Recent (within two years) iBT TOEFL, IELTS or DuoLingo English Test (DET) score report. Go to English Proficiency Requirements for more details.
  4. Completed Financial Disclaimer form and original financial supporting documentation of the student’s/sponsor’s ability to finance studies while in the U.S.
  5. Official transcripts of completed secondary education and of any university-level course work. University-level course work must be evaluated by either Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) or World Education Services (WES) if obtained from outside the U.S. The grades of university-level international courses will be listed on the Washburn University transcript as CR (grade of A,B, or C), P (grade of D), or NC (grade of F) and the grade point average earned in international college course transfer work will not be calculated in the cumulative GPA at Washburn University.
  6. Copy of passport ID page.

Note: Refer to University Requirements Common to all Associate and Bachelor Degrees for further information.

International Transfer Student Admission (from another U.S. school to Washburn)

In addition to the above-mentioned admissions materials, a  completed transfer application includes the following:

  1. A completed Washburn University Transfer Eligibility form, completed by the applicant and an international student advisor at the current school.
  2. A copy (pages 1 and 2) of the student's current Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 (page 1).
  3. Official transcripts of all university-level work, sent to Washburn University directly by the issuing school/language program.
  4. A copy of the student’s current visa, and passport ID page.

Intensive English (IE/ESL) Program Admission

A complete application includes the following:

  1. A completed on-line Washburn University International Application form or a Washburn University Application for degree or non-degree seeking students already living in the US.
  2. $70 (USD) non-refundable application fee.
  3. If attending on an F-1 or J-1 visa, a completed Financial Disclaimer form and original financial supporting documentation of the student's/sponsor's ability to finance studies while in the U.S and a copy of passport ID page.
  4. Official English test score (such as Duolingo English Test, iBT TOEFL,  or IELTS) for IE course placement.  Submit the Duolingo English Test score directly to WU from the Duolingo Website. 


Transcript Requirement

Applicants must provide original transcripts which should have detailed addresses of the issuing schools for verification. If originals cannot be submitted, attested certified copies of transcripts must be sent to Washburn by the issuing school.

All university-level foreign transcripts must be evaluated by ECE or WES. A “course-by-course” report is required and must be submitted by the evaluation service to Washburn University directly.

English Proficiency Requirement for Undergraduate Studies

Students whose native language is not English must meet Washburn’s English Proficiency Requirement. Some undergraduate programs have additional English proficiency requirements which must be met for program admission.

Please note: Students who cannot meet the above guidelines will be placed in the Intensive English classes by the staff of the program based on their English proficiency test scores, transcripts, and other evidence. They must enroll in and successfully complete the required IE courses as early as possible.

Transfer students must also fulfill the English Proficiency Requirement.

Full-time students in the IEP (Level I or II) are not eligible to take other academic courses. Students in Level III or needing only part-time enrollment in IEP can take other academic courses with IEP approval.

For graduate program applicants, please refer to the academic department for the English proficiency requirement, as this varies by graduate program.